Saturday, March 14, 2009

A Cat for my Pack? No way!






Maybe? I am working with the local shelter Ruth Steinert SPCA http://www.ruthsteinertmemorialspca.org/to bring a pet every week to the Market to spend the day with me and get some much needed attention! My first visit to the shelter in I'm ashamed to admit, a long time, I was just supposed to be finalizing some paperwork to start the event and I came home with a kitty. In my defense who could have resisted, here's what happened: The wonderful shelter worker, Sherry who works tirelessly and is so compassionate and very good with the animals as well as the people asked me to please look at this beautiful long haired white cat they got in. The poor thing is matted to the bone under her angora like coat! UGG! I say, I dunno Cats can be very difficult and dangerous to groom, their skin tears like tissue, seeing her desperation I say, but.... let me handle her and see what she's like. She is putty in my hands, lets me roll her around, play with her paws, purring all along perfectly content to be belly up in my arms until I try to put her back than she gently wraps her paws around me like a baby I am holding her now and she looks up at me first wide eyed than she squints her yellow eyes and licks my chin!!! I feel my heart skip a beat and know I'm in trouble! Sherry sees it too, I look at her and her eyes well up... I say I will help but I'm not very experienced with cat grooming I usually only assist so Ill be back after I look into it some more and talk to my co workers. I obsess about it all night and by morning have convinced myself I can comb out the matts, Ha! I go back the next day and I bring kitty home. She has no name yet as they thought she was a boy and hadn't thought of something suiting for a girl yet. I have already purchased her a pretty new collar and necklace to match her eyes that are nearly clear lime yellow like glass beads. So far she has let me cut her nails and purred at the clipper so I am hopeful! The verdict is still out with my pack though! I promised myself after my last foster failure Baily, adopted my Mom and made himself a home there would be no more pets! But a Kitty well they are practically self sufficient ,aren't they? Pictured above is a "kitty" look alike Sapphire from AboutCats.com as I have no pictures yet. Turkish Angora? Any thought on names? here are 3 I like:
Darla-little darling,
Kami- are spirits which sometimes interact with people . They are known to possess great elemental power. Kami also possess common traits such as emotions and are able to think freely for themselves. People who are able to sufficiently please kami are usually blessed with their loyalty.
Hemera-Goddess of daylight and the sun.


Dog Treat Recipe
Bow wow Biscuits
1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup powdered milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
8 tablespoons bacon grease -- or margarine 1 egg --
beaten 1 teaspoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons beef broth -- or chicken
1/2 cup ice water
6 slices Bacon -- crumbled,
optional 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded --
In a big mixing bowl, mix all the ingredients thoroughly to form a dough. Roll the dough out with a rolling pin and use a cookie cutter to make shapes for cookies, Bake cookies at 350 degrees for 20 - 25 min.

Cat Treats
1 1/2 rolled oats
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup tuna oil or beef/chicken bullion
preheat 350,mix all ingredient into a dough, dist hands with flour and form small 1/2" round treats, put on greased cookie sheet and bake 30 minutes or until slightly browned.

1 comment:

Cat-Dog-Lover said...

thanks for sharing ...