Monday, March 9, 2009

Cranberry Juice In your DOG Treats








My Bulldog Fanny is prone to urinary track infections. She was born with spina bifida, which is not degenerative in dogs and although she is perfectly normal in every way she does wear a diaper. I have met several dogs in the grooming salon that seem to suffer re occurring urinary track problems so I thought I would share my tips. Fanny gets a cranberry supplement and in 4 years she hasn't had any serious infections that weren't resolved by making sure she got her supplement. Whenever I bake treats for my pack I substitute cranberry juice for water and sometimes add dried cranberries to the doe. The dogs love the treats and I haven't had any problems with the outcome yet. Now, I am not a veterinarian this is a preventive idea only. For more English Bulldog Info try http://www.engbulldogs.com
More info on Dogs with Diapers:
Here is a perfect example of a dog treat I would substitute with cranberry.

FREE Dog Treat Recipe
Apple Cinnamon Doggie Biscuits

1 package apple, dried OR substitute dried cranberry
1 teaspoon Cinnamon --(I usually just shake some in)
1 Tablespoon parsley, freeze-dried
1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
1 cup ice water or here I would substitute 1/2 cup water & 1/2 cup cranberry juice
1/2 cup Corn Oil
5 cups flour
1/2 cup powdered milk
2 large eggs

Put the apples/cranberries in a food processor so that pieces are small if you need them smaller. Combine in a bowl all of the ingredients -- can add a little oil or water if dough is too dry. Using a rolling pin roll out dough to about 3/16" thick (can make thinner or thicker). Using a cookie cutter -- cut into shapes -- place on cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for approx 20 -25 minutes (until golden). WOOF!

No comments: